MakandMama

MakandMama

Monday, February 13, 2012

The Art of Being a Single Mom part 1

So being single isn't for everyone.  Some people enjoy being single, the freedom of it all.  The reckless abandon.  The thrill of the chase.  For me, I enjoy being single because that means I have no one to argue with.  There's no fighting, no drama.  It's bliss actually.  The downer...no one to share life's joys with either.  I come home but there's no one to share my day with.  Sure I have Mak, but there's only so much interaction she can handle at 7 months old.  Being single can be very lonely.  Fortunately being a single mom means you are too tired, too busy, too overwhelmed to really notice.  My pity parties are fewer and far between and last mere moments compared to what they use to be.  I know having a baby put a HUGE speedbump in my social life, but she sure does keep me busy.  In many ways I'm grateful.  Now I can raise her the way I want, no one else gets a say.  No one will fight me on issues I find important.  She makes me raise my standards on the type of people I allow in our lives.  The good part is that I don't have to think seriously about anyone in particular that I talk to.  However, a few less disappointments and heartbreaks would be nice.  Maybe in a way, being a single mom is an excuss to allow yourself not to get emotionally attached to anyone.  I fall in love easy...I fall fast and I fall hard.  When you have a small baby demanding all of your love and attention it's pretty easy to forget everything else.  There's very little time for me, let alone another person.  Tonight I found myself texting a few people at the same time...while trying to put the baby to bed, eat dinner, fold laundry and attempt to write this blog.  I started feeling annoyed that these people I was texting were taking up my valuable time.  It's very strange how my priorities have shifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment