MakandMama

MakandMama

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

Women propose to their men

According to an old Irish legend, or possibly history, St Bridget struck a deal with St Patrick to allow women to propose to men – and not just the other way around – every 4 years. This is believed to have been introduced to balance the traditional roles of men and women in a similar way to how Leap Day balances the calendar.
In some places, Leap Day has been known as “Bachelors’ Day” for the same reason. A man was expected to pay a penalty, such as a gown or money, if he refused a marriage proposal from a woman on Leap Day. In many European countries, especially in the upper classes of society, tradition dictates that any man who refuses a woman's proposal on February 29 has to buy her 12 pairs of gloves. The intention is that the woman can wear the gloves to hide the embarrassment of not having an engagement ring. During the middle ages there were laws governing this tradition.

I'm just going to follow this with...I could get in a lot of trouble today.  I've recently met someone, well technically we haven't met, but we will.  Soon.  Anyway, even though we are hundreds of miles apart and haven't technically met one another.  I feel closer to him and far more connected than I think I ever have.  He can be oh so far away and yet I find comfort in knowing that if I needed him, he'd be there.  It doesn't matter that he's not physically here, sitting next to me.  I can just feel the connection.  Anyway now I'm rambling...My point is...this has all happened very quickly, but that doesn't frighten me.  In many ways I'm tempted to test out this old tradition.  To take that leap, not necessarily propose marriage, but just take that leap.  I guess in a way I am.  In many ways leap year feels like magic and leap day even more magical.  I'm very excited about the possibilities.  I mean I have nothing to lose.  Just taking a chance at love and possibilities of happiness.  Afterall, isn't that what we are all hoping to find in this one life?  Any ounce of happiness that comes my way, any chance at all...I'm going to hold on tight with both hands and hang tight for it's sure to be one hell of a ride.

1 comment:

  1. oooh, I got goose bumps reading this!
    Hold on to that magic!

    ReplyDelete